Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.28.2010

Curried Chickpeas and Onions with Roti , Fresh Juices...Meatless Monday Ideas




 I'm in love my juicer again and having a ball. What's propelling me ,among  good health, is an opportunity I'm exploring involving a portable juice stand this summer on Saturdays at a Farmers Market in the area. It's not set yet, but I'm thinking about it hard. When my Mother had cancer she loved a nice simple glass of carrot juice.  For some reason I shied away from it, preferring to use my juicer for apples, and citrus. I've been missing out! One of my favorite go to morning drinks  to sip on at work is a chilled carrot and apple juice. It's so delicious and surprisingly filling.
Apple Juice helps aides Obesity, Diabetes, cardiovascular disease, kidneys,liver, gallstones, colitis, gout and dysentery. 
Carrot Juice improves vision, aides recovery after physical or mental stress to body. Fights cancer, anemia, and tuberculosis. Its also increases appetite and strengthens immunity.

  The fun is playing around with your own proportions and mixes. The key to great  tasting juice is allowing it to chill but consume within a that day.

If you cant find or afford Organic Produce try this recipe I found on Tipnut.
Homemade Vegetable Wash
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
2 TBS baking soda
2 TBS lemon juice 
Mix ingredients then pour in clean spray bottle. Spray fresh vegetables & fruit generously. Sit for 5 minutes then rinse off well.
Note: Make sure to first mix ingredients in deep container since there will be some fizzing from the baking soda & vinegar.
Carrot Apple Juice
4 small- medium organic apples
4  organic Carrots
I don't bother peeling the apples but I do skin the carrots.
Cut into manageable pieces and extract in juicer.

Carrot and Sweet Lime Juice
I found these sweet limes in the Latin Market. Popular in India, they are more sweeter, and less acidic than limes. They are known to help upset stomachs and used as throat remedies.The taste reminds me of a mild sweeter grapefruit .
3 sweet limes either pressed in citrus juicer or peeled and cut into wedges to extract juice
4  small to medium carrots.



As you know if you read this blog Certain Someone is a Carnivore. I find myself using the times he's away on business or working late , to indulge in lighter , meat free recipes. He does loves curry as a spice however. Maybe acquired from eating the fabulous curry wursts in Germany growing up. So when he flew in late on Meatless Monday  night and wanted to know what the good  scent was that filled the hallways of the condo. I said it was my dinner and he probably would not like it ,as it had no meat. I save some leftover and served it to him later on in the week as a side dish. He totally liked it. You can eat this a side or just an main course. I used frozen Roti, an Indian pan fried flat bread which is unleavened as compared to Naan. Either or can be used, but this is a good option for those searching for unleavened  foods. I found in the Asian stores. But check your local grocer ad these items are showing up in  more mainstream markets.
* Note: You can add the shredded carrot puree from juicer to this dish as well.
Curried Chickpeas and Onions  with Roti
serves 2
 1 can or jar of Chickpeas/ Garbanzo beans rinsed. 
( I will always advocate for fresh/dried but these will work in a pinch for time)
1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tbs vegtable oil
1 tbs curry powder
1 tsp Fenugreek powder ( optional)
1 tsp Tumeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1/2 cup water

Rinse and drain chickpeas. Set aside.
In a skillet heat vegetable oil and add  curry, fenugreek ,chili,turmeric, white peeper . Stir around until fragrant and add onions. Reduce heat to medium and saute until softened, about a few minutes. Add chickpeas, and saute until coated in spice and oil mixture. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for  5 minutes .Taste and adjust with sugar and salt.

Prepare Roti according to package instructions and serve with curried Chickpeas. I use two Roti's per person.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a fabulous idea! I could eat that kind of meal every day of the week...

Cheers,

Rosa

Memória said...

The drinks sound fabulous. What kind of juicer do you use? I've been wanting to get one since the other two I had broke down so quickly. The good ones are just so expensive.

Susan said...

That's a beauty of a meal! My guy is a carnivore, so I prepare vegetarian fare w/ out worries when he's out of town, too.

savvy brown said...

This look delish! I'm gonna have to pull out my juicer this week, and I'm gonna soak some chickpeas tomorrow so I can make the Curried chickpeas! Thanks os much!

- savvy
http://savvybrown.com

Nina Timm said...

I love chickpeas and having a meatless Monday today seems like a fab idea!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The vegetable wash is an excellent idea Courtney, along with the juice idea for the farmers market.

Homemade Heaven said...

I have a friend who had bladder cancer and lived on carrots for 3 months - juice, soup fresh you name it. When he went back for his follow up treatment the cancer was gone. He swears by the carrots - and who am I to argue.
Now chickpeas are my favourite bean of all - and served in a curry sauce with roti, I think even my carnivores might be tempted!

~~louise~~ said...

I too have been thinking about investing in a juicer Courtney. Any suggestions? Since I always have a fresh batch of yogurt in the fridge, I was thinking of somehow combining a few juice and yogurt drinks with summer approaching.

I think the Farmer's Market idea is a terrific one. That creative mind of yours just never stops.

Curried chick peas are a favorite of mine. I'll be keeping this recipe too!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Jamie said...

Oooh I need more meatless meal ideas and how we love curry. These chickpeas lok fabulous! What a brilliant recipe and I feel a meal chez moi coming on! Thanks, hon!

glamah16 said...

Ive been lloking at Miracle pro Juicer for commercial uses but thats $3,500.
I hear good things about Vita Mix but I believe you get the pulp too. They run about $450.
My current juicer is a regular one thats nots to pricey.Cant even think of the brand but it hasnt broke down on me yet. Have had it over 10 years but havent used the enite time. My next one will be a Vita Mix for sure.

The Duo Dishes said...

Thanks for sharing that veggie wash. That is a good thing to tuck away.

tasteofbeirut said...

These drinks sound fantastic! I need to get me a juicer asap!
Love the chickpea and roti dindin too!

Toni said...

I alternate between veggie and non-veggie meals, and I adore just about anything curried! Love, love, love this meal!

~~louise~~ said...

Thanks for the info Courtney. I'm going to do a bit of research. I've been talking about it for way to long. Thanks for the push...

Jen said...

This looks so delicious! I love juice, but see it more like candy, as I'm trying to eat the actual fruit or vegetable instead, but the chickpeas are amazing.

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Courtney!
Great post. I have one of those old Champion juicers, it's a beast, but I love it. Been making fresh pineapple juice, it tastes nothing like the stuff in the can.

Can't wait to join in on Meatless Mondays!

It was great to meet you! Wishing you and CS a Happy Easter!
See you soon!
LL