Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.21.2010

Duck Egg Pasta...The Best Pasta Ever

The other day I decided to splurge on duck eggs on a shopping expedition to Chinatown. At $8.50 a dozen they were extravagant, but I rationalized the purchase by using them in a post, making a dessert with them, and an upcoming article I'm doing later on for Easter. I have been intrigued by duck eggs for a while as they have larger yolks and thicker shells. Duck eggs have many applications and are wonderful in rich egg based pastries. You can see in the first photo the side by side comparison between the duck egg and regular hens egg.
Being Sunday, and the weekend, Certain Someone wanted pasta. I didn't have any dried pasta in the pantry so I decided to make some with the duck eggs. He fussed as he thought it would be a big ordeal, as my previous pasta making attempts. I knew he was thinking of the tape I made for  the Master Chef Auditions, in the messy condo undergoing  repainting. and the long wait for dinner that night. I have to say that was my worst pasta even  , as I added to much liquid and was more worried about the camera, than product. It stuck all over my new Kitchen Aid pasta rollers that Certain Someone gave me  for Christmas. But I dusted myslef off, and the rollers, and tried again. Tell me a cook or chef that doesn't have a failure now ad then. That's how we achieve perfection. Substituting duck eggs for regular, I achieved a dense, rich, golden dough.
. 
After letting it rest, dividing it in four, it was the easily, most pliable dough to roll. I managed to whip out some rich fettuccine noodles in a fraction of the time of my previous attempts with an easy clean up.


 With Spring in the air I wanted to make  Pasta  Primavera, but he wanted MEAT!  So I threw in some meat, and tons vegetables like zucchini, various hued peppers, spices, onion and garlic in a red sauce. Certain Someone fussed about all the vegetables, but admitted it was my best handmade pasta ever.  If you can find them, I highly recommend you substitute the duck eggs for hens   next time you make and egg based pasta.


 Duck Egg Pasta 
(adapted from Kitchen Aid's Egg Pasta Recipe)
4 Duck Eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons water
3 1/2 cups All purpose four or Italian 00 flour ( the best for pasta, breads, and pizza)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
In Kitchen Aid mixer bowl  mix all ingredients with flat paddle for 30 seconds on low speed ( 2).
Switch out flat beater for dough hook and knead all ingredients for 2 minutes at same low speed.
Turn dough out and knead for 2 more minuted by hand. The dough will be very stiff.

Place in plastic , seal able bag, and let rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, This allows to gluten to relax and dough will be easier to work with.
 With a bench scraper or knife, divide the dough into four pieces.
Process with  Pasta Sheet roller.
  1. Roll out piece on no setting at low speed . Fold into thirds each time and re roll until until it starts to look smooth and uniform.
  2.  Take setting up to 2 and process sheet. Don't fold.
  3. Take setting up to 3 and repeat on each setting until desired thickness. I processed my fettuccine up until setting 6.
  4. Take the fettuccine attachment and process each thin sheet through it.  Set aside.
  5. Repeat with other 3 sections.
Fresh pasta only requires a 2-5 minutes in rapidly boiling , salted water .  Drain .


Thanks all of you for the great, positive feedback I am receiving regarding Coco. I decided  to embed an issue  here on the blog for you to read. Of course, it cant compare to actual paper edition, but enjoy.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've never had duck eggs... I bet they are fantastic. Your pasta look superb!

Cheers,

rosR

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Duck eggs would be a rare find, but I have seen them at times. Good for you for making your own pasta.

Jen said...

Duck eggs are truly a wonder ingredient, aren't they? Everything looks scrumptious!

Peter M said...

Duck eggs, a first for me too! What drove you to try this?

The pasta came out very well and that's a good thing for $8.95.

glamah16 said...

Peter, I'm always trying to push the limits with food. I love to explore with new ingredients.

Memória said...

I love making pasta. Your pasta looks fantastic!! I love that you used duck eggs. Cool!

Jamie said...

I just made fresh pasta and I loved it! Your duck egg pasta is so beautiful in that creamy white. Gorgeous! And I love the pasta sauce! Yum! And perfect for spring!

The Caked Crusader said...

I've only ever had a duck egg poached, never used as an ingredient in a bigger dish. This looks great and I'm very impressed you made your own pasta!

Tiffany said...

i wonder where could I find some eggs like that? I'll have to ask the folks at my organic market.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

Christine said...

This really, really makes me want to buy a pasta machine! The dough looks amazing, and I bet the richness from the eggs gave it a lot of flavor.

Heather said...

That pasta looks so delicate and silky! I still have never achieved pasta worth the trouble, but you've inspired me to try again.

NKP said...

Wonderful! I haven't worked with duck eggs before but I love making homemade pasta - what a great idea!
I have had kitchen mishaps before - a disproportionate amount when people are over for dinner!

Nina Timm said...

That plate of pasta is definitely worth the expense. Nothing quite like homemade pasta is there?

The Duo Dishes said...

Presto pasta! Bet there would be a few duck eggs at one of the many Farmers Markets nearby, but that is a bit pricey. Looking forward to seeing the other 2 uses though!

~~louise~~ said...

You adventurous woman, YOU!!! I bet CS was in heaven when he laid his eyes on that pasta.

The only time I have ever used Duck Eggs was in pound cake. I never saw such a glowing pound cake in my life!!! We actually had ducks when I was growing up and my mom use to cook with them all the time.

Your pasta looks exquisite. I can't wait for that future post with those eggs as stars!!! Thanks for sharing...