Coco Cooks has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.coco-cooks.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

3.14.2010

Meatless Monday Ideas

A few weeks ago I mentioned I'm trying to get into the whole Meatless Monday Movement.  I have committed to devoting a few posts per month towards this. For my this weeks post I want to revisit some published and not published ideas and recipes here on Coco Cooks.

Salad and Parmesan Crisps
. OK, not quite vegan, but its meatless and tasty. Try a quick and easy salad with crusty bread and Parmesan crisps. Take a parchment lined baking sheet and add shredded Parmesan Cheese.  Bake at 375 for a few minutes until melted and slightly crispy. Don't burn. Remove and let cool.
 Sweet or Savory Buckwheat Crepes 

 I love these and find you can make a big batch of them to freeze and use for either breakfast, lunch , or dinner. Fill with sauteed mushrooms and spinach with cream, or a fried egg. Be creative. Fruits , yogurt,and Nutella spreads, butter,sugar, and rum taste divine on them too. Added benefit is Buckwheat is  good for you. Click here for the recipe.
And here are some others I have published before. 

Main Meals

Sides
Roasted sweet winter squash. Skin is edible. This comes in at about 82 calories a serving. I love munching on these wedges that are both filling and sweet.
Ingredients
1 1/4 lb Japanese Pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of black pepper
Directions
Cut and slice the Kabocha Squash into small wedges. Arrange on parchment a lined baking sheet. Toss the squash in all the remaining ingredients to be sure the pieces are covered in the oil. Roast at 450 for about 15 minutes or until caramelized and crispy.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Memória said...

Oh, I love that you are meatless on Mondays. I should definitely try this out next week (I have chicken marinating in the fridge already). Cool! Everything looks yummy!!

motherrimmy said...

Great idea. We eat meatless a few times a week. It's less costly, and fun to find new recipes. Great post!

Nina Timm said...

Thanks Courtney.......after my thick steak of Friday night, I'll have to consider one of these!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That salad is very pleasant! During the week, we eat meatless dinners. It is only during the weekend that we eat some meat.

Cheers,

Rosa

The Caked Crusader said...

I often order the veggie option event though I'm a shameless meat eater!
Love your parmesan crisps - I can just imagine how tangy and flavoursome they are

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

With Spring coming, I'm very excited to see what will be at the Farmer's Markest. I eat a lot less meat in during the Spring and Summer.

Looking forward to seeing more of your Meatless Monday recipes.

NKP said...

Great idea to have a veggie night!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

In my case today would be "meat" Monday since meat does not usually grace my table these days.. I am not a vegetarian I just grew yp with one.

nyvette1luv said...

nice blog!
I really like the buckwheat crepes
idea!~peace nyvette

toontz said...

I have just recently started adding buckwheat flour to my pancake recipe. We all love it!

The Duo Dishes said...

Veggie-packed meals are totally great. You feel a little lighter, and you can really explore the varieties of what's at the market. Love it.